Japan deploys missile defence over N. Korea threat to Guam

By Manager Online   
12 August 2017 15:23
Japan deploys missile defence over N. Korea threat to Guam
A PAC-3 surface-to-air missile is transported into Japan Ground Self-Defense Forces' Kaita base in Kaita town, Hiroshima prefecture on August 12, 2017. Japan deployed its Patriot missile defence system on August 12 after North Korea threatened to fire ballistic missiles over the country towards the US Pacific territory of Guam, local officials and reports said. STR/Jiji Press/AFP
       
August 12, 2017
TOKYO (AFP) - Japan deployed its Patriot missile defence system on Saturday after North Korea threatened to fire ballistic missiles over the country towards the US Pacific territory of Guam, local officials and reports said.
       
       Regional tensions are mounting as Washington and Pyongyang ratchet up their war of words, with President Donald Trump warning Pyongyang would "truly regret" any hostile action against the US.
       
       Japan has in the past vowed to shoot down North Korean missiles or rockets that threaten to hit its territory.
       
       The defence ministry deployed the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) system in Shimane, Hiroshima and Kochi in western Japan, which North Korea had warned could be along its missiles' flight path, public broadcaster NHK and Kyodo News said.
       
       It also deployed the anti-missile system in neighbouring Ehime, according to the reports, while the Asahi Shimbun said one maritime Self-Defence Force Aegis destroyer was stationed in the Sea of Japan (East Sea) to shoot down airborne missiles.
       
       Television footage showed military vehicles carrying launchers and other equipment for the surface-to-air system entering a Japanese base in Kochi before dawn.
       
       Immediate confirmation from the defence ministry was not available but an official at the crisis management office of the Kochi prefectural government said the PAC-3 had been deployed.
       
       "While standing by 24 hours in preparation for a launch, we are calling on our residents to be on alert in case we issue emergency information," Makoto Ebuchi added.
       
       Yoshihide Suga, Japan's chief government spokesman, said earlier this week that Tokyo "can never tolerate" provocations from North Korea and the country's military, will "take necessary measures" to protect itself.
       
       Prime Minister Shinzo Abe also renewed his pledge Saturday morning to prevent any accidents related to the North's warned launch.
       
       "I will do my best to secure our people's lives and property," Abe said without elaboration.
       
       Japan has deployed the missile interceptors in the past ahead of other North Korean launches but has never actually shot anything down.
       
       In 2009, a North Korean rocket passed over Japanese territory without incident, triggering Japan's immediate denouncement.
       
       At the time North Korea said it was launching a telecommunications satellite, but Washington, Seoul and Tokyo believed Pyongyang was testing an intercontinental ballistic missile.
       
       On Friday, President Donald Trump urged North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un not to take any action against the US, its territories including Guam or its allies, warning he would regret such a move -- and "regret it fast.

ยังไม่มีผู้โหวต
คุณเห็นด้วยกับข่าว/บทความนี้หรือไม่
เห็นด้วย ไม่เห็นด้วย
คุณสามารถแสดงความคิดเห็นผ่านบัญชีของเฟซบุกได้แล้ววันนี้ กดที่ปุ่มด้านล่างนี้เลย!

 
หนังสือพิมพ์: ผู้จัดการออนไลน์ | ผู้จัดการรายวัน | ผู้จัดการสุดสัปดาห์ | นิตยสารผู้จัดการ 360° | Positioning | News1
มุม: การเมือง | อาชญากรรม | คุณภาพชีวิต | ภูมิภาค | ภาคใต้ | ต่างประเทศ | มุมจีน | iBiz Channel | เศรษฐกิจ-ธุรกิจ | ตลาดหลักทรัพย์
กองทุนรวม | SMEs | Motoring | CyberBiz | วิทยาศาสตร์ | เกม | กีฬา | บันเทิง | โต๊ะญี่ปุ่น | Celeb Online | ท่องเที่ยว | ธรรมะกับชีวิต
เว็บ: Asia Times | บุรพัฒน์ คอมมิคส์ | Mars Magazine | คุยกับเว็บมาสเตอร์ | Site Map | โฆษณาบนเว็บ | ติดต่อเรา
All site contents copyright ©1999-2017